Monday, October 15, 2012

Wonderful Holiday Smell


Ok.... so this isn't really an edible recipe, but it includes such things, so I'm going to share it.  I saw (on pinterest.... shocker) many different things to put on your stove just to make your house smell wonderful.  I've combined a few and came up with a wonderful smelling concoction.

INGREDIENTS:
2 whole oranges, quartered
6 long cinnamon sticks
small handful of whole cloves
sprinkle of nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 C maple syrup
large handful of cranberries
4 candy canes, snapped in half


DIRECTIONS:
1) Put it all in a pot, add a bit of water (about 1/3 cup or so) and set on low.... for a very long time.  Make sure to maintain some water in it, so it doesn't scorch anything.  (No... bad smell!)  And that's it!!

This mixture is good for about a week.  The smells still work that long, however the mixture starts to look pretty icky... no more wonderful Christmas'y colors or bright hues.  Kind of a brown, mush mess.... but smells great!  Just make sure to add water before you start a new day.  The websites I read say you can keep it good for a couple weeks.  I'm not sure I would let it linger that long, a week was sufficient for us.

My kids loved the smell and commented on it all the time.  (Note: I didn't have cranberries until the second day.... so I added them in then.  I noticed only a slight difference in smell, however it greatly improved the look.)  Obviously you can add or subtract what you wish.  Try it.  It's awesome!!

This will make you want to cozy up with a nice sweater, slippers and a Nicholas Sparks book.  Yessss!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment