Sunday, October 21, 2012

Shrimp & Crab Bisque



Well, my family and I just got home from a weekend trip and I had decided to google some easy supper recipes.  I was aiming for a fish po boy sandwich, to finally use up that fish in my freezer.  One thing led to another and I was then looking at other sandwiches, then soups that could be a side dish, then I landed on main dish soups.  I had shrimp and crab on hand (admitted, not the BEST crab.  However I usually buy that fake stuff, so I was pretty proud of myself that it was at least real.  lol)  so I thought maybe a bisque would be nice.  I've made one before and it turned out pretty darn good, so thought I'd try another.  

After reading through several different recipes, I've combined enough ingredients and ideas to come up with my 'master plan' for supper.  Here's what I ended up with and it turned out great!!!  

INGREDIENTS:
3 Tbs melted butter
3 Tbs flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1 can diced tomatoes (roasted is best, but I had with garlic and onion)
3/4 C sliced celery
1 white onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper
2 1/2 C half & half
1 C chicken stock (with 3 tsp extra chicken bouillon granules)
1/2 C white wine
1/3 C fresh parsley, chopped
1 lb medium shrimp, de-veined and chopped.  
12 oz  crab meat (I bought something that came out totally mutilated.  When I get it again, I'd get a lump crap or something like that.  Anyhoo.... still real crab and the right flavor, so it's good.)
4-8 slices of cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
5 green onions, chopped fine

DIRECTIONS: 
1) Make your rue... slowly melt the butter and add in the flower.  Whisking together & add in the lemon juice, then removing from heat. 

2) Add together in a large pot: canned tomatoes (with juices), onion, celery, garlic, salt & pepper.  Cook until warm.... only a few minutes.

3)  Add in some liquids: 1 C of half & half and your 1 C stock with the extra chicken granules.  Keep on medium heat until just bubbly.

 4) Once it's bubbly yummy, add in the rest of the liquids - - 1 1/2 C half & half, 1/2 C white wine.

5) Put all the "meat" in.... your crab and your shrimp, along with the parsley.

 6) Sit until it boils, lower heat and let simmer 25-30 minutes.

 (Yummy picture of all the goodness inside this bisque.... delicious!!)

7) Right before serving - top with the cut green onion tops and as little (or as MUCH) of the bacon as you wish.  (Bacon makes everything better!!)  Even my little, picky boys ate all their supper.  This was so good... I will definitely make it again, only next time with lump crab meat instead of the tiny little bits I grabbed.  Now I know.

I served this bisque with small garlic cheese breads and a small side of lemon-pepper broccoli.  It was so good.  If ya'll try it, let me know how things turn out.  What you added or took out, share!! 

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment