Thursday, May 29, 2014

PB&J Crunchy French Toast Sandwich

Again... like I've said before, I like Guy Fieri!  I was watching an episode a few days back and it was a fried foods special.  I thought, this one will be good to watch, but I should stay away from all the fried-goodness he's showing us.  HOWEVER - this morning, I just happen to have all the things to make one of the dishes and my boys were being good.  So then I thought, I'll make a 'special' peanut butter and jelly sandwich for them, for breakfast, since they absolutely love PB&J's!  I was unable to find Guy's original recipe from the show, but it wasn't too difficult, and I figured I could remember and wing my way through it.  So.... YUMMY.... here it is!! 


Peanut Butter and Jelly Crunch French Toast Sandwich

I crushed up 1/2 box of frosted flakes really well in my Ninja chopper.  Placed it in a large bowl.


Next I whisked together 1 1/2 C milk, 4 eggs (I'm making 4 sandwiches), cinnamon and vanilla extract.



Now it's time to make the sandwiches.... like normal.  My boys usually use grape jelly, but for this, I used strawberry preserves.  YUM!



Then.... just like french toast (sort of) I carefully dipped each sandwich into the milk/egg mixture then the frosted flakes mixture.  Making sure to gently press the cereal onto the sandwich, in hopes of them adhering.

Next melt a good sized blob of butter in a medium sized skillet.... about 1 - 2 Tbsp of butter.  Once melted and the skillet is super hot (but butter NOT burnt) put the sandwich in.  Try not to be a flipper.... or it'll just soak up the butter and not get crispy.  Let it sit for a bit... until slightly golden on the bottom.  Then flip and heat until golden brown on both sides.



 Once it's finished - I LIGHTLY salted the top of the sandwich and let it cool.  
I then cut it into small squares.


Once they were room temperature, we all sat down with our totally un-healthy sandwiches and glasses of milk..... and ENJOYED every bit of it!  


Each one of my boys asked if we could have it again tomorrow.... then again after.  I had to, sadly, tell them no.  There's no way we can eat this more than once every 6 months.... 
However, it was SUPER DELICIOUS!!  
SUPER, DUPER DELICIOUS!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment