Monday, October 17, 2011

Shrimp & Grits w/Double Smoked Bacon

Lets start out with a traditionally southern staple: Grits!  I never thought I'd like grits -- but I trust Bobby Flay and bacon.  I've made this several times now and absolutely love it....  and so does my husband and kids (which a major 'Win' in my book!!)

** Note: For this recipe and any future recipe, I tend not to measure too much.  A little of this, a tad of that is how I usually cook.  You'll tend to see the words 'about', 'a little', 'some' and 'approx.' when I list ingredients.  Bare with me and do as you see fit, if you chose to use one of the recipes I list.**

Shrimp & Grits w/Double Smoked Bacon

'Instant' grits - about 2 - 3 portions (Also need required ingredients to make grits according to the directions)
1/2 - 1 medium white onion, chopped
garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic)
Large Shrimp (no tails, de-veined) about 40-50
Bacon (from 1/2 lb to 1 lb) cut into 1in pieces
Shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese (2-3 cups)
1/2 C chopped green onions

1) Make grits: melt the butter & olive oil in medium saucepan over med heat.  Add chp'd onion and garlic and stir, cook until soft.  Increase heat to high, add milk and water and salt... bring to boil.  Whisk in grits slowly, a handful at a time, then bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often w/a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and easily falls from spoon, about 15 min.  Add the cheese and stir until completely  melted, add S & P to taste.  (Salt & Pepper)

2) Meanwhile, make shrimp: heat large pan over high heat until smoking.  Add the bacon and cook, stir until golden brown.  Remove w/slotted spoon.  Remove all but 3Tbsp of fat/grease and return to high heat.  Season the shrimp w/S&P, toss in pan lightly brown, about 1 1/2 - 2 min per side.

3) Serve: Pour a serving of cheese grits into soup plate.  Top each serving with shrimp and bacon, then sprinkle with the chp'd green onions. 

** Caution: This is SO yummy you'll want to put a lot on your plate, but it fills you up quickly, so start out small.  Remember - you can always make it again!!  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment